[patch] ext4fs read only mode

gnehzuil gnehzuil at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 11:19:11 UTC 2010

Hi all,

This patch makes ext2fs can read ext4 filesystem in read-only mode.
There are two files in attachments. 'ext4fs_ro_makefile.patch' is for
Makefile in modules/ext2fs/. 'ext4fs_ro_src.patch' is for source code in
fs/ext2fs/. Please use the following command to mount disk: 'mount -t
ext2fs -r /dev/XXX /YYY'.

Now you can use it to read data from ext4 filesystem in the following
features:

 + HAS_JOURNAL(*)
 + FILE_TYPE
 + SPARSE_SUPER
 + HUGE_FILE
 + EXTENTS
 + DIR_NLINK
 + UNINIT_BG
 + FLEX_BG(*)
 + EXTRA_ISIZE(*)
 + DIR_INDEX(**)

* I don't implement this feature. However you don't need to worry about
it because it doesn't be used in read-only mode.

** I have implemented a hash directory index in ext2_lookup() function.
But there are two functions that I think they seem to be contaminated
kernel source code. So this patch doesn't include hash directory index.

Please test it.

Best regards,

lz