zfs arc - just take it all and be good to me

Marco van Tol marco at tols.org
Wed Aug 11 06:09:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 07:43:24AM +0200, Matthias Gamsjager wrote:
> > Please, insert into /boot/loader.conf only this options:
> > vm.kmem_size="999M"
> > vm.kmem_size_max="999M"
> > vfs.zfs.arc_max="160M"
> > vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1
> >
> > And after reboot, please run dd...
>
> vfs.zfs.arc_max="160M" should be enough to limit the size of the arc.

But thats the point.  I don't want to limit its size, I want it to take
every available piece of memory it can find, while allowing applications
to temporarely use large slabs of that same memory during their runtime.
Just like I'm used to with UFS. :)

> and I'm not sure if that  ( vm.kmem_size="999M"
> ,vm.kmem_size_max="999M") is such a good idea.

Me neither.  I'm pretty sure I will hit the "kmem map too small"
scenario real quick.  What is it you are testing with those settings
Vladislav?

Marco

--
Ik loop door het heden, naar de toekomst.
- Discovery Channel