NFSv4 permissions issues

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sun Aug 1 00:32:19 UTC 2010

From: "Joe Auty" <joe at netmusician.org>

1 - look to see if the username/groupname mappings are working. (NFSv4
uses name and not#s.)
    - just do an "ls -lg" on some NFSv4 mounted dir. to see if they
      look ok. (lotsa "nobdy"'s --> busted) If it's busted, look at
      the setup of nfsuserd and the "domain" specified, which is
      usually the domain part of the host's name, but can be overridden
      by a flag option on nfsuserd and in a config file on Solaris10.

2 - Make sure you user/group names and uid/gid numbers are consistent
      between client and server. NFSv4 always specifies the groupname
      of a newly created file object, so those groups/gids must be
      correct.

If the above doesn't resolve it, look at a snoop trace for the failed
access and see what the user/group names (and uid/gid #s in the RPC
header) look like.

This is most likely something related to the user/group name and
number mapping, rick