MM-5425CN nand SSD

Matthew Jacob mj at feral.com
Wed Apr 21 02:31:48 UTC 2010

On 4/20/2010 8:05 PM, Erich Jenkins, Fuujin Group Ltd wrote:
> Posted this to the SCSI list about a week ago, but with no responses,
> I suspect it should have been posted here. Sorry for cross-posting:

(Hi, Erich!)

> Not sure if the NAND drivers being written at
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/NAND apply to this device or not. It appears
> this is more of a simulator at the moment and an experimental
> framework. Is there any current support for the MM-5425CN series NAND
> flash cards in FreeBSD? These seem like they'd be excellent for a
> separate ZIL in a ZFS raidz config if installed in pairs for mirroring...
>
> Here's the pciconf probe of the device in question:
>
> none3 at pci0:6:2:0:       class=0x058000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x54251332
> rev=0x06 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Micro Memory'
>     device     = 'MM-5425CN PCI 64/66 Memory Module with Battery Backup'
>     class      = memory

This looks like the old MMI card- not NAND. It's ECC ram with a battery.
It won't fit into PCI-X slots- it predates it.

It has a linux driver for it. DataDomain used it in there 200 series
model. NetApp used it a while back too. It has a history going back to
SBus PrestoServe.

I don't believe anyone has ever done a FreeBSD driver. MMI got eaten up
by Curtiss Wright a year or so ago. I actually have one, but considering
that the connectivity to such a card, no matter how nice, isn't worth
it. I don't believe they're being built any more.

Insofar as NAND drivers, you might check with the PowerPC FreeBSD port
people- they've just done a bunch of changes and look like they're
supporting some of the embedded stuff, which means they'll have that
entire wad of NAND and NOR based device support at their fingers.