Fwd: Re: Strange ZFS performance

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Apr 5 17:24:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010, Mikle Krutov wrote:
> Any information i could provide to help us know what's the source of the problem?

The svc_t value I saw posted in one of your mails was outrageously
large.  I suggest running

   iostat -x 30

while doing long-duration write and see what the actual values are.
It seems likely that you are overrunning what your controller or disk
is capable of handling and this is creating an I/O backlog which is
far greater than what it would be if zfs had queued fewer
simultaneous requests.

It may be that tuning zfs_vdev_max_pending to a small value may help
keep your controller from being overloaded.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn