kern/145246: [ufs] dirhash in 7.3 gratuitously frees hashes when it shouldn't [regression]

Martin Birgmeier Martin.Birgmeier at aon.at
Thu Apr 1 15:00:20 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR kern/145246; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Martin Birgmeier <Martin.Birgmeier at aon.at>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/145246: [ufs] dirhash in 7.3 gratuitously frees hashes when
 it shouldn't [regression]
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:54:13 +0200

 I believe that there should be some notion of "value" given to resources
 which may potentially be destroyed and recreated - computing the dirhash
 takes a lot of time (see
 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/117954 ), and this work
 should not be thrown away lightly. (This is why dirhash exists in the
 first place.)

 Maybe the lowmem handler could be modified to only use the dirhash
 lowmem handler as a last resort. In my case, the kernel did not really
 seem to be that short on memory, as it has now been running with
 moderate to high load for 24 hours with the reversion to SVN rev 195783
 for ufs_dirhash.c and dirhash.h.

 I have configured vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem=33554432 (32M) by the way.
 Compared to 1.25G, this is only 2.5%, so I believe not really something
 that's eating lots of memory.

 Regards,

 Martin