ARC size constantly shrinks, then ZFS slows down extremely

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Tue Sep 29 11:04:39 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm using FreeBSD 8 (previously 7) on a machine with a lot of disks and
32 GB RAM. With 7.x it ran very well for about 50 days, but suddenly
every operation have slowed down.
gstat showed that the disks are working a lot more than usual the
zpool/zfs was pretty unusable.

I've rebooted the machine then with FreeBSD 8 in the hope the new ZFS
fixes will correct this issue (no 50 days have passed since then, so I
don't know yet) and started to monitor ZFS's statistics.

It seems that after a reboot, the ARC size starts to grow, then
something flips the switch and it changes to shrinking, instead of
maintaining the size.

Please see the pictures here:
http://people.fsn.hu/~bra/freebsd/20090929-zfs-arcsize/

Before the 27th, the machine ran FreeBSD 7, after that date it runs 8.

As you can see, no user process tooks the memory, so I don't know why
the ARC size grows first and then start to decrease.

Could it be that the ARC size decreases such a big amount that it
effectively disappears and this causes the IO activity go up and kill
the machine?

Thanks,