extattr/xattr on 8.0-RC1 ZFS?

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Mon Oct 26 12:01:30 UTC 2009

on 26/10/2009 00:00 Rich said the following:
> Hello world,
> I'm running 8.0-RC1 built from latest RELENG_8 on September 29th.
>
> I found a use case for extended attrs in my day to day life - I wanted
> to make everything in a given directory have a default mask of
> group-writable.
>
> I tried:
> # setfacl -d -m u::rwx,g::rwx,mask::rwx /bukkit/home/rercola/oose
> setfacl: acl_get_file() failed: Operation not supported
> # zfs get xattr bukkit/home/rercola
> NAME                 PROPERTY  VALUE                SOURCE
> bukkit/home/rercola  xattr     off                  temporary
> # zfs set xattr=on bukkit/home/rercola
> # zfs get xattr bukkit/home/rercola
> NAME                 PROPERTY  VALUE                SOURCE
> bukkit/home/rercola  xattr     off                  temporary
>
> What's going on? Wikipedia says, uncited, that FBSD ZFS has extended
> attributes. The FBSD wiki page on ZFS says that extattr is "done", but
> the description hasn't changed from before this was the case.
> I tried, naively:
>
> # extattrctl start /bukkit/home/rercola/
> extattrctl start: Operation not supported
>
> What's the correct thing to do here? Is it secretly unsupported and
> the documentation is imprecise? Or am I just an idiot?

I believe that only NFSv4-style ACLs are supported for ZFS.
AFAIK, "default ACL" is a feature of POSIX-style ACLs.
BTW, ACLs and extended attributes might be related things but they are not the same.
And your attempt to use extattrctl was very naïve indeed, just open its manual page.
setfacl(1), lsextattr(1) are mandatory reading :-)

--
Andriy Gapon