root on ZFS and zpool.cache importance

Michal ml at infosec.pl
Thu Oct 15 22:30:08 UTC 2009

Hello.

I'm a bit confused about zpool.cache file. I've got a configuration with
/boot sitting on a usb dongle (UFS) and everything else on internal ZFS
hard drive. I'm booting my system off the usb drive so zpool.cache file
is there (it was generated when I created zpool). Basic zfs root + ufs
boot setup. Everything works like a charm no problems so far and I would
like to keep it that way hence my question.

I've noticed that zpool.cache on ZFS drive is being created and updated
from time to time and it is different from zpool.cache file on usb
drive. Even when I remove zpool.cache file on hard disk then it gets
recreated automatically and system still boots and works fine since it
starts with zpool.cache on usb drive which is intact.

Now how important it is to keep them in sync and what I'm risking by not
doing that? Should I copy zpool.cache from hard drive to usb boot disk
every day or should I leave it how it is and don't even bother?

Michal
--
"Never forget what a man says to you when he is angry." -Henry Ward Beecher