nfsv4 FreeBSD server vs. Linux client I/O error

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Thu Nov 12 17:24:18 UTC 2009

Hi all,

ist this the right place to talk about nfsv4 issues, or does this better
go to -net (or even somewhere else)?

Anyways, I'll start here and now:
I have a FreeBSD8-RC2 server which I set up for nfsv4 serving according
to nfsv4(4). I have a Linux client (Kernel 2.6.25) trying to do
"mount.nfs4 / /mnt -v". This takes *exactly* 30s. (looks like running into
some kind of timeout). After that, the mount is there. It is displayed by
"mount" and gives the right sizes with "du -h".
However, as soon as I try to access /mnt with "cd /mnt" or "ls /mnt" I get
an Input/Output Error on the client side.

Googleing around I found only very few information about nfsv4 and FreeBSD
(ok, it's a new feature after all :-). Does anyone here already have some
experiences to share? Anyone already using FreeBSD servers against Linux
clients? Any suggestions how to debug and solve the problem above?

Any hints are as always greatly appreciated.

cu
  Gerrit