ZFSBoot try and bsdlabel bootstrap code

Ollivier Robert roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
Wed May 13 08:39:40 UTC 2009

According to Randy Bush:
> i have been collecting email on the subject for six months.  so now i
> have some clues and some confusion.  is there a zfs capable loader?
>
> i will be doing this a jet-lagged.  is there a recipe?

There are a few tutorials around here.  I'd suggest starting with the
following:

http://lulf.geeknest.org/blog/freebsd/Setting_up_a_zfs-only_system/

What's in there could help:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/AppleMacbook

Here is a translation into English of a french blog  post about gpt only:
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbaptux.free.fr%2Findex.php%3Fpost%2F2009%2F04%2F18%2FChanger-le-disque-systeme-sur-FreeBSD&sl=fr&tl=en

I also attach a script I've found (maybe here) too, to be used as an
example.  For the moment booting is only accepted from single or mirrored
zpool, not raidz/raidz2 although Doug Rabson has patches for both.

I plan to try to summarize all these into a wiki article (unless someone
beat me to it) by playing with my vmware fusion setup.  I plan to have a
new server at home soon and ant it full zfs...
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
In memoriam to Ondine : http://ondine.keltia.net/