dump | restore fails: unknown tape header type 1853384566

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 26 18:42:27 PDT 2009

Greg Black wrote:
> Sorry, this person is *not* making backups in any meaningful fashion.
> Unless you verify regularly (preferably every time you make a backup)
> that you can restore both parts of the backup and the entire thing, you
> are not making backups.  You may be lucky, but you probably won't be
> lucky when it really matters.

s/making backups/employing an effective data recovery strategy/

Please don't feed the "proper use of language" trolls. :)

Meanwhile, we may want to consider that this whole thread is veering
off topic ...

Doug