kern/132068: [zfs] page fault when using ZFS over NFS on 7.1-RELEASE/amd64

Weldon S Godfrey 3 weldon at excelsus.com
Thu Mar 5 08:10:30 PST 2009

If memory serves me right, sometime around 3:30pm, Mark Linimon told me:

> The following reply was made to PR kern/132068; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: kern/132068: [zfs] page fault when using ZFS over NFS on
> 	7.1-RELEASE/amd64
> Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:29:39 -0600
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Edward Fisk <7ogcg7g02 at sneakemail.com> -----
>
> To: freebsd-bugs at FreeBSD.org
> From: Edward Fisk <7ogcg7g02 at sneakemail.com>
> Subject: Re: kern/132068: [zfs] page fault when using ZFS over NFS on
> 	7.1-RELEASE/amd64
>
> kern/129174 looks like a similar problem, altohugh there's not much
> useful information there
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

Are you using v3 NFS or v2?  Switching to v2 has made things MUCH more
stable for me, however, I still loose stability with ZIL enabled (even if
prefetch is disabled)(and ZIL disabled is NOT desirable as I know the
potential client side corruption with that, but so far I haven't run into
that).  I currently have ZIL and prefetch disabled.  I currently limit
ARC to 2GB as well and set kmem to 4GB (I currently am using FreeBSD 8)

I am up to about 1.5 weeks without a panic now.  The system does a
constant 80-120Mb/s in read and 30Mb/s write/s during the day and has 9
NFS clients.

Weldon