kern/135412: ZFS issue

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Mon Jun 22 15:20:05 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR kern/135412; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Danny Braniss <danny at cs.huji.ac.il>
To: Gavin Atkinson <gavin at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/135412: ZFS issue
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:53:44 +0300

 > Other useful information (from PR kern/135039):
 >
 > This appears to only affect 7-STABLE since the ZFS merge, but doesn't
 > affect -HEAD.
 >
 > After the recent import of ZFS v13 into 7-STABLE, an mkstemp() call from
 > an NFS client to a ZFS-backed NFS server will fail: the syscall returns
 > EIO and the server will have created a 0-byte file with 000 permissions.
 > This breaks not just mktemp but also mv, tar, rsync...
 >
 > Kip Macy said there's a flags check that is too strict, in email message
 > <3c1674c90905280025i17039257l573838d33d8493fd at mail.gmail.com>
 > Otherwise, use cp and rm instead of mv, or use scp instead of NFS, or
 > use UFS2 on the server
 >
 > To submitter: did you upgrade your on-disk pools to v13, or is running
 > the new code and v6 pools enough to show the problem?  What is the
 > output of "zpool upgrade"?

 it happens ONLY because zfs is v13, irrelevant if the pools have been upgraded,
 created, or not upgraded.
 so yes, just running a newer -stable is enough to show the problem.

 Since I am using ZFS + NFS, and providing service to several hundred users,
 telling them not to use tar, svn, rsync, etc is not an option :-)
 also, NFS V2 is broken/un-maintained.

 danny