bin/135710: mount(8): mount -t tmpfs does not follow 'size' option

Nathanael Hoyle nhoyle at hoyletech.com
Mon Jun 22 01:42:54 UTC 2009

remko at FreeBSD.org wrote:
> Synopsis: mount(8): mount -t tmpfs does not follow 'size' option
>
> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-bugs->freebsd-fs
> Responsible-Changed-By: remko
> Responsible-Changed-When: Sun Jun 21 09:45:21 UTC 2009
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
> reassign to fs team

Quoting Peter Snyder in "tmpfs: A Virtual Memory File System", in which
he details the design for Solaris tmpfs, which served as the foundation
for NetBSD's tmpfs, which was in turn integrated into FreeBSD:

"Instead of allocating a fixed amount of memory for exclusive use as a
file system, tmpfs file system
size is dynamic depending on use, allowing the system to decide the
optimal use of memory."

And from the FreeBSD tmpfs(5) man page, "*size* - maximum size (in
bytes) for the file system", note the use of the word "maximum" versus
say, "initial".  I would attempt to actually populate/fill the created
file system, and unless it returns as being full with less than the size
specified worth of data, I believe the behavior observed is as intended.

-Nathanael