ufs2 / softupdates / ZFS / disk write cache

Nathanael Hoyle nhoyle at hoyletech.com
Mon Jun 22 01:17:57 UTC 2009

Andrew Snow wrote:
>>> All of these solutions still involve disabling of write cache, with
>>> a performance hit of varying degrees. (I have tried all of those
>>> except gjournal!)
>
> B) SCSI drives come with write caching disabled by default.  But here,
> the performance loss is partially made up by Tagged Command Queueing
> and  faster spindle speeds
>
> C) gjournal needs to flush the disk cache regularly to maintain
> consistence. It doesn't need to do it as often but on a write-heavy
> system it isn't ideal for performance because it flushes everything in
> the cache and not just the journal.
>
> D) ZFS - same as (C)

As a minor nitpick to point D, IIRC it is possible to explicitly place
the ZIL on a different device than the pool it is for.  In this case, if
the ZIL is on a dedicated device, then it is possible to flush only the
ZIL, rather than all data pending in cache for the zpool.  I realize
it's a minor distinction / special case, but the option is worth mentioning.

-Nathanael