Unable to delete files on ZFS volume

Mister Olli mister.olli at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 21 18:06:04 UTC 2009

hi,

On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 17:36 -0700, Kip Macy wrote:

> [snip]
>
> The closest I can come to defining it would be "fluctuation of
> contents". By this I was asking if you repeatedly created and deleted
> files.

ok, I understand now. There's actually no real fluctuation, since I only
add content, but do not delete anything.

> I didn't think it would be this easy to provoke this. I've tried
> provoking this with a handful of large files without success. I'm
> guessing that ZFS isn't as careful about bounding metadata creation as
> it is data creation.
>
> My focus is, and for the foreseeable future will be, fixing FreeBSD
> integration issues. As this is a fundamental ZFS space management
> issue I don't foresee fixing it any time soon if at all unless it is
> addressed by upgrading to v15 or v16.

Is that possible already? From my understanding 8-CURRENT creates pools
with version13 atm.

> I hope that truncating some of the files will free up space for deletion.

would be nice to test that, but I just recognized that my xen play
machine is down due to power supply problems. Since I don't have the
time to fix that, regard this problem as 'unimorrtant' ;-))

Anyway I will give you feedback, when I managed to repair it.

Regards,
---
Mr. Olli