adding drive to raidz1

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat Jun 20 04:54:08 UTC 2009

On 2009-Jun-18 23:12:16 -0500, "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-fs2 at jrv.org> wrote:
>As a feature suggestion why not reject an "zpool add" of a non-redundant
>vdev to a pool of redundant vdev's unless -f is given?  A command of
>that sort is almost always a mistake so requiring -f would seem no
>hardship for anyone...

Agreed.

>As was said, a vdev (ad7s1) cannot be removed from a pool, and a device
>cannot be added to a raidz.

Both these are unfortunate restrictions.  I can understand that
expanding a RAIDZ would be a fairly complex operation but it's
probably the most requested feature.  I'm surprised that Sun don't
allow removing vdevs from a pool - it's orthogonal to adding a vdev to
a pool and (eg) HP AdvFS allows both.

--
Peter Jeremy