Want to install FreeBSD - need advice on Writable filesystems?

Matt Simerson matt at corp.spry.com
Mon Jun 1 19:49:39 UTC 2009

On Jun 1, 2009, at 11:03 AM, samankaya at netscape.net wrote:

> Many thanks for the response!
>
> That solves the ext3 fs issue, how about UFS and Solaris as that is
> probably more important at this stage?
>
> Baring in mind Solaris uses UFS1 while BSD is on UFS2!

FreeBSD can format disks with UFS1 or UFS2, but that probably won't
help you much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_File_System

	"Vendors of some commercial Unix systems, such as SunOS/Solaris,
System V Release 4, HP-UX, and Tru64 UNIX, have adopted UFS. Most of
them adapted UFS to their own uses, adding proprietary extensions that
may not be recognized by other vendors' versions of Unix.
Surprisingly, many have continued to use the original block size and
data field widths as the original UFS, so some degree of (read)
compatibility remains across platforms."

Consider instead running FreeBSD 8  (or 7.3, if you can wait) with
Solaris, and using a ZFS rel 13 partition as the shared medium between
them. Many years ago, when I did wanted a shared data partition
between switch booted OS platforms, I used a FAT32 partition. These
days, virtual machines make it much, much easier.

Matt