FreeBSD, SSD's and partition alignment

Fred J.G. jgfredo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 16:31:05 UTC 2009

Dear All,

In reference to this issue about SSD's and partition alignment at http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/freebsd-fs/2009/1/5/4601614
  I have been struggling a few hours with installing FreeBSD on a SSD
attached to a VIA-EPIA Mini ITX board with the VIA PLE133 Chipset on it.
I have choosen FreeBSD specifically because it appeared already
running as os with samba on this commercial  NAS-device based on the
VIA EPIA board with many interesting neglected features. The 5400rpm
internal drive is retired from today.
After getting a lot of inode errors when trying to install FreeBSD 7.2
on a OCZ PATA 120GB SSD attached to IDE1 interface of the board I
ended up to follow up the Geometry reported by the BIOS C/H/S = 61865/16/255
.
Surprisingly or maybe not surprisingly to readers here no inode errors
anymore during a full installation!
I do have some concerns though regarding wearing and performance
( degradation)such as:
- The default newfs  args -b 16384 -f 2048 will this be in harmony?
- Currently 1GB memory onboard and default 2GB swap is defined on the
SSD.
- etc. out of my current perception...

Further it is a great learning project since this board is more than 6
years old but reasonable in power consumption.

the ultimate goal is to create a thinfat client annex voip videophone
multimedia box which will be able to connect to a virtualized
featherweight virtual machine somewhere.
if kerneloptimalisation is required for this than it be so.
looking forward to any constructive input.

cheers,
Fred