Booting from ZFS raidz

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Fri Jul 17 16:22:16 UTC 2009

Am 17.07.2009 um 17:24 schrieb Arnaud Houdelette:

> Stefan Bethke a écrit :

>>> Me too. I just decided to revisit this, and unfortunatly, I'm
>>> still stuck with the loader having trouble reading blocks off the
>>> raidz1 volume.  I've updated the creation script (see below).
>>> This is on r195709, with LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT?=YES in /etc/make.conf.
>>
>> I just checked that my basic procedure is sane by creating a single
>> vdev pool (zpool create /dev/gpt/zfs0), and that is booting and
>> working just fine.
>>

>> Stefan
>>
> I got the same kind of errors with 8.0-BETA1 (rebuilt loader with
> ZFS_SUPPORT) with raidz on a VirtualBox.
> I however got some hints :
> Tried with single disk on pool : works like a charm.
> Tried with a mirror : the loader only 'sees' the first disk. Could
> that be the source of our problems ?
>
> BTX loader only shows drives A: and C:
>
> lsdev -v gives :
> cd devices:
> disk devices:
>   disk0:   BIOS drive A:
>   disk1:   BIOS drive C:
>     disk1p1: FreeBSD boot 64KB
>     disk1p2: FreeBSD ZFS 19GB
> pxe devices:
> zfs devices:
> pool: zroot
> config:
>
>       NAME             STATE
>       zroot            DEGRADED
>         mirror        DEGRADED
>           gpt/zfs1    ONLINE
>           gpt/zfs2    OFFLINE
>
> As the mirror is degraded but readable, the loader is able to boot.
> Could it be a BIOS or boot0 problem ?

In VMware Fusion, it appears the loader sees all disks (with my UFS
disk attached, and with ZFS on raw devices:
OK lsdev -v
cd devices:
disk devices:
     disk0:   BIOS drive A:
     disk1:   BIOS drive C:
         disk1s1a: FFS   30GB (2097215 - 67103505)
         disk1s1b: swap  1024MB (63 - 2097215)
     disk2:   BIOS drive D:
       disk2: FFS  bad disklabel
     disk3:   BIOS drive E:
       disk3: FFS  bad disklabel
     disk4:   BIOS drive F:
       disk4: FFS  bad disklabel
pxe devices:
zfs devices:
   pool: zroot
config:

         NAME             STATE
         zroot            ONLINE
           raidz1         ONLINE
             da1          ONLINE
             da2          ONLINE
             da3          ONLINE
OK

When detaching the first disk, so that only the three ZFS disks are
available, I get the same output (but loader error on trying to read
the kernel, as posted previously).

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811