kern/131743: utf-8 file names of ext2 partitions cause problems

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 04:20:03 PST 2009

The following reply was made to PR kern/131743; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Elmar Stellnberger <estellnb at googlemail.com>
To: Jaakko Heinonen <jh at saunalahti.fi>, bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/131743: utf-8 file names of ext2 partitions cause problems
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:16:09 +0000

 --------------060705010904020402090803

 Interestingly LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 works well with xterm, but with xterm only.
 All other apps from the ports tree like VLC or any KDE app like konsole
 or konqueror
 do not support utf-8. Perhaps we should reassign this bug to the ports
 project.

 Or do you think about a kernel charset conversion for
 filenames(iocharset=utf8)
  as an additional option?

 Jaakko Heinonen wrote:
 > On 2009-02-16, Elmar Stellnberger wrote:
 >
 >>> Class:          sw-bug
 >>>

 >> FreeBSD refuses to mount ext2 partitions with the iocharset=utf8 and
 >> utf8 options. The consequence are not only wrongly displayed file
 >> names.
 >>

 > I don't think this is a bug. For me FreeBSD ext2fs works fine with UTF-8
 > encoded file names providing that you have configured locale settings
 > correctly.
 >
 > Do you expect "iocharset=utf8" and "utf8" mount options to convert
 > file names to some other encoding? AFAIK even Linux doesn't support such
 > options for ext2.

 --------------060705010904020402090803

 <head>
 </head>
 Interestingly LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 works well with xterm, but with xterm
 only.<br>
 All other apps from the ports tree like VLC or any KDE app like konsole
 or konqueror <br>
 do not support utf-8. Perhaps we should reassign this bug to the ports
 project.<br>
 Or do you think about a kernel charset conversion for
 filenames(iocharset=utf8)<br>
 &nbsp;as an additional option?<br>
 Jaakko Heinonen wrote:
  cite="mid:20090216173832.GA775 at a91-153-125-115.elisa-laajakaista.fi"
  type="cite">
     <pre wrap="">FreeBSD refuses to mount ext2 partitions with the iocharset=utf8 and
 utf8 options. The consequence are not only wrongly displayed file
 names.
     </pre>
   <pre wrap=""><!---->