kern/131743: utf-8 file names of ext2 partitions cause problems

Jaakko Heinonen jh at saunalahti.fi
Mon Feb 16 09:40:04 PST 2009

The following reply was made to PR kern/131743; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jaakko Heinonen <jh at saunalahti.fi>
To: Elmar Stellnberger <estellnb at gmail.com>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/131743: utf-8 file names of ext2 partitions cause problems
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:38:33 +0200

 On 2009-02-16, Elmar Stellnberger wrote:
 > >Class:          sw-bug

 > FreeBSD refuses to mount ext2 partitions with the iocharset=utf8 and
 > utf8 options. The consequence are not only wrongly displayed file
 > names.

 I don't think this is a bug. For me FreeBSD ext2fs works fine with UTF-8
 encoded file names providing that you have configured locale settings
 correctly.

 Do you expect "iocharset=utf8" and "utf8" mount options to convert
 file names to some other encoding? AFAIK even Linux doesn't support such
 options for ext2.

 --
 Jaakko