ZFS RaidZ2 with 24 drives?

Solon Lutz solon at pyro.de
Fri Dec 25 11:23:55 UTC 2009

> Depending on tuning, you can make it flush to disk more often.  It is also highly dependent on how much memory you have.

At the moment: 4GB. I'm about to try upgrading it to 6GB.

Why can't it work like this all the time:

device     r/s   w/s    kr/s    kw/s wait svc_t  %b
da0        0.0 1907.4     0.0 65494.8    0   0.6   6
ad10     680.7   0.0 87132.0     0.0   35  43.7  92

Effectively, it transfers 8-10MB/s! Took 24h for 1.2TB...

> I know on my personal system, i see this happen a lot but it doesn't seem to have a hugely negative impact on
> performance for what i use my machine for.  Depending on your setup, you may want to try various sysctl settings.  I
> found that disabling prefetch can have a huge impact on some systems.

Prefect is not enabled because of RAM < 4GB...
Can you name an tuneable sysctls?

Best regards,

Solon