Plans for Logged/Journaled UFS

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Sun Dec 20 21:22:59 UTC 2009

Matthew Jacob wrote:

>>> Which use cases can you name?
>> Reliable data storage. :(
> Jeez, I wrote this months ago.
>
> Do you feel that improving UFS is a better way to go?
No, I think ZFS is the good way (although it has its problems as well).
And I'm very grateful to the guys who worked on this.
I've just summed my experiences, which tells me ZFS is still not ready
for prime time. Where UFS keeps running for years, ZFS suddenly crashes,
or worse, just freezes, in a way, which is hard to debug for the average
user (a crashdump is easy, but when I can't even go to the debugger,
that's hard).
I hope that things will settle down and ZFS will be as much reliable in
FreeBSD as UFS is now (or even better, I've had some bad crashes with
UFS thanks to on-disk data corruption).