SUIDDIR on ZFS?

Ben Schumacher me at benschumacher.com
Thu Dec 17 06:37:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Emil Smolenski <ambsd at raisa.eu.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 05:36:55 +0100, Ben Schumacher <me at benschumacher.com>
> wrote:
>
>> At any rate, I've been considering switching this to a ZFS RAIDZ now
>> that FreeBSD 8 is released and it seems that folks think it's stable,
>> but I'm curious if it can provide the SUIDDIR functionality I'm
>> currently using.
>
>  Yes, it can. From my point of view it works the same way as on UFS.

Emil-

Thanks for your response... I don't know that that's quite right.
SUIDDIR has to be enabled in the kernel as an option to enable the
functionality on UFS and my tests on ZFS haven't proved fruitful:

$ sudo zfs create zroot/shared
$ sudo zfs umount zroot/shared
$ sudo zfs mount -o suiddir zroot/shared
$ sudo chown sats:office /zroot/shared
$ sudo chmod 4770 /zroot/shared
$ touch /zroot/shared/file
$ ls -al /zroot/shared/
total 4
drwsrwx---  2 sats  office  3 Dec 16 23:26 ./
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel   9 Dec 16 23:26 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 ben   office  0 Dec 16 23:26 file

With a drive mounted with the 'suiddir' option (and the kernel option
enabled) the above works with UFS. I was curious if maybe there was an
option in 'zfs set' that I was missing.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Ben