ZFS RaidZ2 with 24 drives?

Thomas Burgess wonslung at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 16:26:48 UTC 2009

you should avoid it.  if you want more information about why this is a BAD
idea, read this post:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=22025&postcount=17

you should keep in mind each raidz group is seen by zfs more or less as a
single hard drive...you should stick to groups NO BIGGER than 9 drives

personally, i use 4-5 drives for raidz1 and 6-8 drives for raidz2

also, keep in mind, while you do loose a LITTLE space, you gain a ton more
MTTF
it's very much worth it.  I'd go with 3 groups of 8 or 4 groups of 6

24 in one group = 33 TB

3 groups of 8 = 27 TB

4 groups of 6 = 24 TB

personally, i'd go with the 3 groups of 8