SUIDDIR on ZFS?

Ben Schumacher me at benschumacher.com
Tue Dec 15 05:02:48 UTC 2009

Hello-

I'm currently using FreeBSD w/gmirror as a Samba file server for an
office with 5-6 users. For ease of administration (and because they
need access to each other's data frequently), I have SUIDDIR enabled
on the server and have the main shared directory set to "chmod 4770".
I have utilities that I run on the server for backup (tarsnap) and
virus scanning (clamd/clamdfront) which has so far been working really
well. Originally I was planning to setup the data storage on this box
to do a mirror of stripes with 4x 500GB drives, but due to some flux
(mainly trying to figure out why UFS snapshotting was so slow -- I
caught up!) I ended up with a 4 drive mirror and 500GB of space.

At any rate, I've been considering switching this to a ZFS RAIDZ now
that FreeBSD 8 is released and it seems that folks think it's stable,
but I'm curious if it can provide the SUIDDIR functionality I'm
currently using. If not, I suppose I could come up with a different
solution (suggestions welcome) -- maybe a different Samba
configuration, but it took me a while to get where I am with this box
now and if I can keep it mostly the same and get the snapshotting
abilities of ZFS I'd be really pleased.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben