[8.0-RELEASE] ext2fs mount fails

Mikle Krutov nekoexmachina at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 05:02:24 PST 2009

Hello,
I'm currently migrating one of my systems from linux to fbsd, and i've
chosen the ext2 fs as most compatible one.
Problem is, i cannot mount it.
mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad8p1 /tmp/ext2/1
mount: /dev/ad8p1 : Invalid argument
ext2fs: ad8p1: wrong magic number 0 (expected 0xef53)

It mounts normally under linux, and i've fsck'd it.
Also, under fbsd i cannot even run fsck:
 fsck_ext2fs /dev/ad8p1
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
/sbin/e2fsck: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
/sbin/e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/ad8p1

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
I've found the sb backups with testdisk and tried the e2fsck -b
<superblock_num> -B <block_size> <dev> - doesn't work, returns the
very same message as above.
Any suggestions?