ZFS and reordering drives

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Mon Dec 7 22:21:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:06, james-freebsd-fs2@ wrote:

> I don't see any way to fix this without callers specifying whether a
> device is being added to a pool (don't check GUID) or merely attached as
> part of a pool (always check GUID).

Prevention of this should IMHO be determined by the type of device being
used and method of implementation. Using daN ? devices and the
characteristics of those devices could best be handled by glabel before
the device is attached to a pool. Maybe there is a way that a device could
still be labeled but thus allow to still use the raw device and check what
the label is so if that device happens to go missing any device shifts
won't effect future operations upon replacing a drive.

--

  Mon Dec  7 17:14:56 2009 -0500

  jhell