ZFS and reordering drives

Josh Carter josh at multipart-mixed.com
Sun Dec 6 02:26:00 UTC 2009

FWIW, I've hit drive re-ordering problems several times on FreeBSD and OpenSolaris (most of those due to me doing abusive things to the system on purpose). In all cases a "zfs export [pool]" and "zfs import [pool]" fixed the issue. I'm not sure exactly what ZFS is doing, but even across reboots it appears to remember the configuration it used to see, and insist on seeing it again. An export/import forces ZFS to forget what it knows and look at what's on the drives.

-Josh