need help with ZFS

Simun Mikecin numisemis at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 27 09:52:26 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----

ZFSTuningGuide is sometimes misleading. Better look at /usr/src/UPDATING.

> "amd64
> FreeBSD 7.2+ has improved kernel memory allocation strategy and no tuning may be
> necessary on systems with more than 2 GB of RAM."
>
> Does that mean I no longer have to tune ZFS via loader.conf? Just better leave
> it empty on FreeBSD-8.0 installation?
>
> Right now I'm going to continue with rsync and will start bonnie++ in parallel
> keeping my loader.conf with the following values:
>
> vm.kmem_size="1536M"
> vm.kmem_size_max="3072M"
> vm.pmap.shpgperproc="1024"
> vfs.zfs.arc_min="256M"
> vfs.zfs.arc_max="384M"
> vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="50M"
> vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
> kern.maxproc="20000"

Since FreeBSD 7.2 no additional ZFS tuning in loader.conf is needed (on amd64).
You should remove all those settings from loader.conf, reboot, and re-run the tests.
Maybe, just maybe you get a panic just because of those settings.