ZFS RAID-Z panic on vdev failure + subsequent panics and hangs

Boris Kochergin spawk at acm.poly.edu
Wed Aug 26 00:14:41 UTC 2009

Boris Kochergin wrote:
>> Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

>>> To get the data from there you could also try to 'zfs send' it without
>>> mounting the dataset at all (just in case).
>>>

>> Sorry for the delay. I had to find another machine to move the disks
>> into so that I could continue experimenting. Anyway, the filesystem
>> didn't have any snapshots I could send, so I tried creating one with
>> "zfs snapshot home at 1" and the machine hung.
>>
>> FYI, In the new machine, all disks (including the one with the /
>> filesystem) retain their device names.
>>
>> -Boris
> Some more panics using RELENG_8 sources from yesterday:
> http://acm.poly.edu/~spawk/zfs/. The one in panic3.txt happens much
> more often than the other ones. If any brave soul wants to look into
> it, I can provide NFS/geom_gate/whatever access to the disk images (or
> actual disks, if there's a difference) so that they can recreate the
> problem on a local machine.
>
> -Boris
For the archives: pjd@ took some time to examine the disk images I made
of the RAID-Z pool, but found heavy corruption in the metadata. As it
turns out, the machine had bad RAM during the incident, and that is
probably what caused it. Unfortunately, I had only started to suspect it
recently as random userland application and kernel panics became
frequent. This is good news for ZFS users, as it indicates that ZFS did
not corrupt my pool on its own. I do, however, advise you to be mindful
of the problems bad memory can cause for ZFS. Personally, I will start
shelling out a few more bucks for the ECC stuff from now on.

(Eagerly awaiting the read-only offline recovery functionality described
at http://www.mail-archive.com/zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org/msg20092.html).

-Boris