Is it possible to add this patch to FreeBSD-8.0? (kern/133174: [msdosfs] [patch] msdosfs must support utf-encoded international characters in file names)

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Tue Aug 25 20:30:15 UTC 2009

This PR is pending for a while:

I tested the patch many times and never found any problems. Mandarin
file names all look good.

Is there a way to check this patch into 8.0?

I mount disks with the option -L=zh_TW.UTF-8. Not sure if the first part
(zh_TW) really matters. ru_RU.UTF-8 works with Chinese file names the
same way. I guess it should be just -L=UTF-8 but this makes
mount_msdosfs to fail with some strange error message.

It's very important to have FreeBSD understand international file names
in msdosfs since this will make it's use easier for non-English users.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,
Yuri