Fwd: How do I mount an external ntfs formatted harddisk manually and through /etc/fstab?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Sun Aug 16 19:25:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 07:32:17PM +0200, Jens Rasmus Liland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the late reply - I went on vacation for a while.
>
> I think 'mount_ntfs-3g' did the trick in terms of mounting /dev/da0s1
> manually. But I tried to add
>
> /dev/da0s1              /homewd         ntfs-3g    ro              0       0
>
> ... but then the computer panicked, and went into single user mode. I think
> it happened because the ntfs-3g module is loaded later with the
> fusefs-stuff. How to get around this one?

Solution 1: Try changing "ro" to "ro,noauto" and mount it later.

Solution 2: Instead, try adding "late" to the options, so that it will
not be mounted until later in the boot process, after /usr and other
normal filesystems are mounted.  As you say the filesystem type was
added from ports, your problem might be that the OS is trying to mount
it before /usr is mounted, and the fs module is not available, although
that shouldn't generate a panic.

My 2 cents,
  -- Clifton

--