UFS2 metadata checksums

Scott Burns scott at bqinternet.com
Fri Apr 24 06:52:01 UTC 2009

Andrew Snow wrote:

> Ideally you would implement complete disk checksumming as a GEOM device.
>
> Then you could layer geom_mirror on top of it, so that if the checksum
> fails and returns EIO, geom_mirror can try the alternate device and
> rebuild the one with the bad checksums.
>
> That will then complete the feature set implemented by ZFS, but for any
> filesystem on top of GEOM.
>
> - Andrew

The geli(8) GEOM class is able to verify sectors (and I believe it
returns EINVAL on ones that fail), but with a noticeable performance
impact.  I could certainly see the use for a GEOM class that just does
simple checksumming.  If gmirror can then be aware of it, that does
provide functionality similar to a ZFS mirror.

--
Scott Burns
System Administrator