gpt in-place editing

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Wed Sep 24 19:25:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

MM> > MM> You probably have swapon and/or dumpon to set to the partition.
MM> > MM> You can't remove a partition that is in use.
MM> > MM>
MM> > MM> Run "swapoff /dev/da0p3" and/or "dumpon off" first.
MM> >
MM> > Of course I did run swapoff; I'm not sure I did dumpoff, and unfortunately
MM> > did not run it under script(1). gpt (I did test under RELENG_7) does the
MM> > trick,
MM> > but --
MM> >
MM> > However, we clearly have at least one bug: not creating da* device (for
MM> > da0p5
MM> > in my case)
MM>
MM> You can't make that claim. You've forced the issue
MM> by setting debugflags and bypassing gpart. As such,
MM> gpart is unaware of the new partition (it wasn't
MM> involved in the creation) and it isn't being made
MM> aware, because the underlying geom isn't spoiled
MM> (which would trigger a retaste).

I made a retest tonight, and found that gpart is actually doing things quite
right (my fault in previous experiment seems to be that I did not check for
filt system types, and gpart does not understand short types like 'ufs').

Also, gpart does not allow default values in add phase, which is a bit
annoying, especially when you create last partition; but we can live with this
I hope ;)

Thank you.

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]