host hangs, can only drop to ddb after accessing a file that is owned by a non privileged user

Ahnjoan Amous ahnjoan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 23:53:41 UTC 2008

A week or so ago we had a power bump and since then one of our servers
now hangs on access to one of two files.  Just `ls -al` will cause the
machine to hang.  The files are excel spreadsheets owned by a normal
user and served out by samba.  The host does not panic when the files
are accessed but the only thing I can do is break in to ddb on the
serial console.

Once inside of ddb I'm able to see which of the two files was being
accessed by typing in "show lockedvnods" and using the inode to
identify the file via the find command.  I'm not able to remove the
files either as this causes the host to hang in the same manner.

I really don't know anything about ddb other than how to type in "show
lockedvnods" so far.  I can reproduce this behavior every time if
anyone would like me to trouble shoot this possible bug.  One thing to
note this is a 5.2.1-Release so if it is even a bug it might be fixed
already.

Most importantly does anyone have any thoughts on how I can remove
this file?  Its accessible by my users and even with a preemptive
e-mail they seem to take delight in clicking the little icon twice and
watching me run down the hall...

FYI – Here is the ddb output from two different hangings, the inodes
correspond to the two files that make this happen.

0xcc880410: tag ufs, type VREG, usecount 1, writecount 0, refcount 1,
flags (VV_OBJBUF), lock type ufs: EXCL (count 1) by thread 0xc9b58dc0

        ino 3933646, on dev da2s1e (4, 29)

0xca42d71c: tag ufs, type VREG, usecount 1, writecount 0, refcount 1,
lock type ufs: EXCL (count 1) by thread 0xca23da00

        ino 3933648, on dev da2s1e (4, 29)

Thanks
Ahnjoan