ZFS on backup fileserver - RAM usage

Matt Simerson matt at corp.spry.com
Mon Oct 13 21:21:54 UTC 2008

On Oct 13, 2008, at 2:08 PM, Miroslav Lachman wrote:

> Matt Simerson wrote:
>> It all depends on your workload. If you work your backup serves
>> hard  (as I do, backing up thousands of OS instances), you'll have
>> significant reliability problems using FreeBSD 7.1 and ZFS. After
>> a  crash that corrupted my file systems, I have moved to 8-head
>> with  Pawel's latest patch.
>> My backup servers have between 16 and 24 disks each. The ones with
>> 16GB of RAM crash far less frequently than my server that has only
>> 2GB. That one is getting upgraded soon.
>> Matt
>
> I am planning to backup about 10-15 servers (mainly webservers and
> few mailservers) and not expecting high load.
> Did 8-current with the latest ZFS patch fixed all stability problems?
>
> Thanks for suggestions to both of you.
>
> Miroslav Lachman

No, there are still stability issues under heavy load. The are just
far less frequent under 8-current than under 7.  I couldn't keep my
systems up for more than 2 days before switching to 8.  Running 8-head
was better, but so far the best available configuration is 8-head with
"the patch" applied.

Matt