Unique ID for UFS?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Nov 19 18:26:45 PST 2008

Hi,
I am wondering if there is a unique ID generated for each UFS already? If not
would it be possible to add one somehow?

There is glabel, but I think having a UUID embedded in the FS would be very
handy for automation andwould prevent accidents that glabel can cause.

So, there could be a gfsid module that reads IDs from the FS (NTFS, ext2/3,
UFS) and creates device nodes to allow access.

Linux has something like this (or rather ext2/xfs do) and NTFS appears to have
a unique ID (or at least Linux thinks so :)

Thanks.

PS please CC me as I'm not on the list.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum