ZFS Drive change best practice.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 19 13:12:58 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 04:51:38AM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:45:52PM +1000, Danny Carroll wrote:
> > I need to migrate my ZFS drives from one bus to another.  As such they
> > will be getting new device names.
> >
> > I am pretty sure that if I do this with an export/import then it will
> > just get the job done.
> >
> > Does anyone know if there I need to take anything special into
> > consideration, like perhaps maintaining the order of the drives?
>
> Drive order does not matter, and drive label (e.g. adX or daX) does
> not matter; "zpool import -a" will figure it out.
>
> HOWEVER, there is a problem where ZFS can list the same drive label
> twice or more in the members list.  Take a look at the last part of my
> Wiki here -- you'll see two members with the same name.  This was
> induced by moving cables between two different controllers:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/ZFS_disk_upgrade_gone_bad
>
> I sent mail to pjd@ about this, but didn't receive a response (which is
> understandable given how busy he is).  I have no idea if the latest ZFS
> commit on CURRENT fixes this problem.
>
> Just something to keep in mind.

Sorry about lack of response. The situation should improve with recent
ZFS, although at the end I decided to give up on disks IDs, as they only
work with ATA disks and nobody implemented this functionality for SCSI
disks.

After some more tests I'll commit changes that make ZFS to always depend
on metadata only.