Repairing a defective UFS 2 partition with fsck_ffs (or other means)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Nov 2 00:20:21 PDT 2008

Hi,

many thanks for your quick reply.

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 21:42:03 -0700, Frank Mayhar <frank at exit.com> wrote:
> Check out /usr/ports/sysutils/ffs2recov.  It won't repair the filesystem
> but it may be able to recover some or all of your data.

I've already tried this program:

	% mdconfig -a -t vnode -f ad1s1f.dd
	md0
	% ffs2recov -dav /dev/md0

will create many files according to inode numbers. The file command
will identify them as "data", and they are all of the same size,
group-wise. I don't know what I could do with these files.

Furthermore, these errors are repeatedly displayed:

	getinode:  inode size (14199049117881519608 > 175821242368) too big, skipping.

and

	main.c:529 memory allocation failed for inode 294970, -1693177856

with different values.

I'm not sure if ffs2recov is the right tool here, or am I using it
the wrong way?

I've read /usr/local/share/doc/sleuthkit/ref_fs.txt carefully, but
it doesn't seem to help me either.

I don't want to buy expensive "Windows" software that I have to run
in wine (along with the usual problems upcoming) for something that
I think could be solved using FreeBSD's on-board means, or even
send the disk to a recovery company for much money. I simply can't
afford this.

If you have any experiences regarding this special case of data
recovery, please give me an advice where I should play attention.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0