Choppy performance.

Daniel Andersson engywook at gmail.com
Sun May 4 09:03:30 UTC 2008

> Sorry, maybe I miss something.
>  What "memory allocation errors in rtorrent" do you mean?

"Storage error: [File chunk write error: Cannot allocate memory]"
"Storage error: [File chunk read error: Cannot allocate memory]"

It happens with big torrents ~40gb+. It probably happens
because I have:
send_buffer_size=1M
receive_buffer_size=1M

1MB send/receive buffers plus big torrent chunks eats the memory
pretty fast. I have it at 1M to lessen the disk load. But maybe I
don't need it that high anymore with two zfs disks?

>  > But if it isn't really using that much memory how come I get
>  > memory allocation errors in rtorrent if there's more memory
>  > avaliable?
>
>  One week ago was observed problem with write speed on ZFS pool with following
>  configuration on i386:
>
> vm.kmem_size_max="1073741824"
>  vm.kmem_size="1073741824"
>  KVA_PAGES=512
>  Write speed in 8 disks (raidz) is 40 Mb/sec and very choppy.
>  If I change to vm.kmem_size_max="999M", write speed increase in 4 times
>  (160Mb/sec). I think this is bug.
>  What is yours configuration?

My loader.conf(AMD64):

vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1
vm.kmem_size_max="1073741824"
vm.kmem_size="1073741824"

I'll try setting it to 999M instead, thanks!