ZFS docs / info

Andrew Hill lists at thefrog.net
Thu May 1 08:54:41 UTC 2008

Ivan Voras wrote:
 > Do you know about http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS ?

Yes, that was my starting point as I learnt about ZFS. I simply wanted
to offer documentation aimed at a different level of user.

I found that the documentation on that wiki and the docs it links to
tended to fit into one of three categories
1. it provided a very high level listing of features of the whole
system, without talking about specific components, what each one is
responsible for and how they fit together (e.g. is the zpool or the
zfs responsible for checksumming, compression, redundancy, etc) -
great for convincing people of the worth of ZFS
2. it assumes the reader has full knowledge of how the zfs pieces fit
together (i.e. they what they want to create and when) and was simply
there to document the syntax of the zpool and zfs commands - a good
quick-reference guide for those familiar with zfs
3. it provided very detailed information about commands, which must of
course include how to use every single component available to ZFS, a
lot of which is far beyond what a typical 'home' bsd user would want,
and perhaps confusing due to the level of detail - but perfect for an
engineer or administrator

Obviously the right documentation for a specific user really depends
on their background knowledge, and I felt that the first category was
great for convincing someone to use ZFS, but if they knew nothing of
how the pieces fit together then 2 and 3 were a very deep pool to dive
into. So I've tried to summarise the info I found from all three into
a simpler document aimed somewhere in between high-level-overview and
detailed-man-pages, containing what I found most useful from the
documentation available

I don't imagine anyone who's actually bothered to sign up to freebsd-
fs will want documentation at the level I've written it (they'll be
going for #2 or 3 above), but I figured those trying to find out how
it fits together might stumble across the archives, or maybe someone
involved in documentation will see some utility (for new zfs users) in
what i've written.

Andrew