Strange ZFS behaviour when a drive fail.

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 26 08:10:07 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 03:23:46PM +0100, Ståle Kristoffersen wrote:
> when I then ran zpool status I got:
>  scrub: resilver completed with 0 errors on Wed Mar 26 15:15:50 2008
>
> Why did it start to resilver onto "nothing", and why can't I replace it with mfid8 (even with -f)?

I believe this problem was stated back in January (see the 2nd half of
the post), although Joe's problem showed an incremented CHKSUM, not an
actual drive in FAULTED mode:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2008-January/004241.html

Either way, the situation sounds very familiar (failure + reboot
resulting in the pool silvering for strange reasons).