A few questions about ZFS

Daniel Andersson engywook at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 22:50:43 UTC 2008

Hiya!

I've been thinking about trying out zfs for a while now. But as it is still
kind of
experimental I'm not sure if it'll be worth it. I'm currently running FBSD
7.0 i386
but if I go with zfs I'll probably reinstall to amd64. Anyhow, the box acts
primarily as a fileserver/fw/router. It has only 1gb ram though, which seems

to be the minimum according to things I've read. If rtorrent uses 900+mb
ram,
and zfs needs 1gb to run properly, what will happen? crash? Even if I got
another gb of ram, would it work under heavy writing/reading? I would
probably
set up a /zfs for it and leave the root, usr, etc partitions to UFS2.

http://groups.google.com/group/muc.lists.freebsd.current/browse_thread/thread/436fa863a6be7f24/a245a67bc6423b62?lnk=raot
Doesn't seem promising, I rarely hash stuff though. If it starts crashing I
would have to.

Would I be better of setting up some softraid or vinum?

dmesg:
http://pastebin.org/24780

Cheers,
Daniel Andersson

P.S. How do I reply? RE: A few questions about ZFS in the subject?