ZFS as / filesystem on 7.0 ?

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Sat Mar 1 17:38:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

FA> Thank you for the replies. It seems that / and/or at least /boot should
FA> remain UFS/UFS2 and the rest of the system ZFS, if so desired.
FA>
FA> I wonder if it's possible to convert a filesystem from UFS/2 to ZFS ;-)
FA> Probably not without another disk nearby to mirror and copy back the
FA> content.

You can even do it with single disk.  Hint: install minimal system into 'b'
partition (your future swap ;-) and boot into it's single user mode with

ad(0,b)

response to boot: prompt (press space at early boot stage)

AFAIK no in-place conversion from USF to ZFS is possible or would ever be ;-)

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]