It's 2008. 1 TB disk drives cost $160. Quotas are 32-bit.

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Mon Jun 30 12:06:53 UTC 2008

John Kozubik <john at kozubik.com> writes:
> I needed to set a user quota of greater than 2 TB today.  I failed,
> because FreeBSD does not have 64-bit quota tools.
> [long rant about how 64-bit quotas should take precedence over
> everything else we do]

FreeBSD is a volunteer-driven open source project.  Basically, this
means you don't get to dictate what people work on.  It also means you
don't get to throw shit at people the way you just did.

> Quotas are a long-standing, core piece of filesystem functionality and
> have been considered a bedrock of unix operating systems for decades.

I dunno, I've never used them, nor have I ever encountered them in any
of the places I've worked or studied.  Frankly, disk space is so cheap
these days (as you point out yourself) that I don't see the point.

> There is nothing new or experimental in moving quotas from 32 to 64 bit.

It breaks backward compat rather badly.  All quotas need to be
recalculated, and there no way to tell whether the existing quota file
is 32-bit or 64-bit.

> This is _as opposed to_ porting ZFS to FreeBSD, and gjournal, and every
> other shiny bauble that has monopolized freebsd-fs in the last four
> years.

Those "shiny baubles", not quotas, are what make FreeBSD a viable server
operating system in 2008.

BTW, ZFS has 128-bit quotas.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no