NFSv4 client and server for FreeBSD7 needs testing

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 31 18:07:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 09:30:34PM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
> I have just put a patch for FreeBSD7.0 up anonymous ftp that includes client
> and server NFS code. It support NFSv4 (as well as NFSv2 and NFSv3) and includes
> support for Kerberized NFSv3 as well as NFSv4. The client port should be
> considered Beta test at this point, although this client seems to be working
> well in OpenBSD4.2 and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. (This client port has nothing to
> do with the NFSv4 client currently in FreeBSD7.0, but borrows heavily from
> FreeBSD7's generic NFSv2 and NFSv3 client.)
>
> I will be creating a similar patch for FreeBSD-CURRENT soon (within a week,
> maybe).
>
> Testing would be appreciated. There is an email list called
> openbsd-nfsv4 at sfobug.org for questions, comments, bugs, etc.
> (I don't know if others would mind posts to freebsd-fs at freebsd.org or not. I'll
>  see any posts made there, as well.)
>
> If you are interested in trying it out, please go to:
> 	ftp://ftp.cis.uoguelph.ca/pub/nfsv4/FreeBSD7
>
> Have fun with it, if you try it, rick

I've done some very basic testing on amd64.  I had to make a few
changes to get it to compile, but they were mostly straightforward.
Replacing the various incarnations of %q with %j and casts to (intmax_t)
handled most of it.  I also had to change the third argument of
nfsvno_pathconf() to register_t to match the old code and perculate the
change through.

I've only done some auth sys mounts so far and some very basic reading of files
etc.  One feature that seems to be missing relative to other systems is
what I'd describe as recusive mounting with a single mount entry.  For example
if you export these files systems on solaris:

/export/home
/export/home/foo
/export/home/bar

and then mount /export/home with nfsv4 on a linux system, you can access the
contents of /export/home/foo and /export/home/bar (find breaks interestingly on
RHEL 5.1 Server, but that's another story :).

-- Brooks