ZFS on whole disk vs. slice vs. partition?

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Wed Jul 30 08:02:52 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I am preparing myself to next try with ZFS and I would like to know if
there are any recomendations / performance differences between using
whole disk device (ad0) or slice (ad0s2) or partition (ad0s1e).

For example, if I have machine with 2 disks and I want to setup small
part of the disk gmirrored with UFS2 (/ + /usr) and the rest of space
for data on ZFS mirror - is it better to use ad0s1 + ad1s1 for gmirror
and ad0s2 + ad1s2 for ZFS mirror? Or is it better to use ad0s1e + ad1s1e
for ZFS mirror?

Next example could be machine with 4 disks (1TB disks in RAIDZ / RAIDZ2
as array for backups). It would be nice to user ad0 + ad1 + ad2 + ad3,
but then I cannot boot of it, so again - I can use small piece of each
disk as bootable UFS2 root with gmirror of 4 drives (first slice of each
disk - ad0s1, ad1s1, ad2s1, ad3s1) and the rest for ZFS. Or is there
significant reason not to split disks, use whole device for ZFS pool and
setup UFS2 root on some other media like CF card with CF 2 IDE convertor?

Thanks for any useful informations, tips, trick, links etc.

Miroslav Lachman